![]() |
| The Supreme Court is the highest court in the United States. |
Before watching this documentary, I understood the Supreme Court as the highest court in the country, but I did not fully appreciate how much of its power depends on public trust rather than direct control. One of the most interesting things I learned was that once Justices are confirmed, they are largely insulated from political pressure and are expected to answer to the law, the Court, their conscience, and the public.
What surprised me most was the Court's case selection process. The Supreme Court receives thousands of petitions each year but accepts only a small number for full review. I was especially impressed that every petition receives individual consideration, whether it comes from a prominent attorney or a handwritten submission from a prisoner.
![]() |
| The current Supreme Court justices |
Another fact I did not know was how private and personal the decision-making process is. After oral arguments, the nine Justices meet alone in a conference room with no clerks or assistants present.
That level of confidentiality stood out to me.
The documentary also changed how I think about oral arguments. I had assumed they were mostly debates between lawyers, but the program explained that they are often conversations among the Justices themselves, with attorneys serving as a way for the Justices to test ideas and challenge reasoning.
The historical evolution of the Court was another major takeaway. Under Chief Justice John Marshall, the Court established judicial review and became a co-equal branch of government. At the same time, the documentary showed that the Court has made serious mistakes, particularly during the Dred Scott era, which was described as a self-inflicted wound that damaged the Court's authority.
![]() |
| Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr. |
I was also struck by the discussion of the Fourteenth Amendment. Learning how it expanded constitutional protections and helped redefine who is included in "We the People" gave me a broader understanding of how the Constitution has evolved over time.
The most important lesson from the documentary was that the Supreme Court's authority ultimately depends on trust. The Court has no direct way to enforce public support, yet its decisions carry weight because people accept its role as a guardian of constitutional principles.
After watching the documentary, I see the Supreme Court as more than just a court. It is an institution whose power, influence, and legitimacy have been built over generations through interpretation, debate, and the ongoing effort to uphold the Constitution.
Disclaimer: AI was used to create this post from my original notes.
.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment